Saturday, April 09, 2011

....a late romantic.


Read this while you listen to this. If you dare.

˜˜

My heart was bleak. My weak thinking gave room to experience for the lack of a better idea. The very first time I set my feet on this very sidewalk, you said, I had tears in my eyes, you know? Just like those tears running down your cheeks right at this instant, those tears of joy.

Joy? I asked. I guess is all you answered.

That’s what you said, I guess.

As I glanced at what was happening right behind you I noticed the sound that was nearly dissipated by thick and heavy glass doors. The symphony blew the last chances I still had to pay attention to what you were now asking of me. Cry, you begged. Cry for releasing it all will set you free, but how could I? How could I do this just for you when…

Mahler was crying for me.

The world didn’t listen but I did, I followed it.

The sharp notes were but dubious in their courage so I carried on, going as far as pushing you, obstacle I adore to hate, out of the way. The door was almost shutting down completely but I managed to run fast enough so I could catch it open just before it was too late, such was my fear of not surrendering, such was my fear of neglecting this kind of happiness.

Just for a change.

A song, that was all that it really was, a moment inside of a song that spoke to me in tongues of strings, in the shapes of hearts I would never learn to admire nor loathe, a song nonetheless. So much can be built around a song.

The universe could be nothing but the product of a note that built time and matter, the perfect moment of romance that created you and me could have started with the beat of a steady drum coming from the reliable old stereo system down the basement, a grip of true inspiration can come from the very sound of winds blowing a symphony of leaves right outside your study’s window… oh, a song.

So much for a body of independent sounds, brought delicately together in the creation of a harmony I dare to call perfect.

It was nothing but a song and I loved it, for all that it was worth those were true twelve minutes and four seconds of complete surrender, and for those timeless minutes I learned to listen.

~~